Preventing tooth decayTooth decay is one of the most prevalent chronic diseases in this country, but it is largely preventable with:
- A balanced diet. Fresh produce, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean proteins provide vitamins that sustain your body?s naturally robust defence system. Good nutrition also keeps saliva populated with minerals that are absorbed by the teeth for strong enamel. Dr. Weingarten can suggest dietary supplements that may also be beneficial. Read our blog on Cavity Prevention Snack Ideas.
- Reduction of sugar in the diet. Limit intake of sweet beverages (which may also be quite acidic). This includes wine, and beer, which contain carbohydrates that turn into sugar. Drink plenty of fresh, pure water to flush the mouth. Sticky candy and desserts coat teeth with sugar. If you have a sweet tooth, substitute grapes, apples, or bananas and brush after eating. If you can?t brush right away, swish with water and chew sugar-free gum with xylitol.
- Smoking cessation. Harsh chemicals in smoke and smokeless tobacco break down the mouth?s resistance to tooth decay. If you smoke, please visit Health Canada? Health Concerns? Tobacco-Quit Smoking for tips on quitting.
- Dental treatments. At regular check-up appointments, Dr. Weingarten may recommend fluoride treatment or sealants for cavity protection. Both procedures are brief and painless and are especially effective for children.
- Hygiene. The hygiene team at Dr. Harry Weingarten & Associates Family and Cosmetic Dentistry only see your teeth a few times each year. You have the opportunity every day to fight cavities with thorough (but gentle) brushing, and flossing before bedtime. The hygienist will be happy to demonstrate proper technique, and suggest the most appropriate type of toothbrush and paste for your situation.
When cavities occurYour healthy nutrition, home hygiene habits, and regular professional cleanings at Dr. Harry Weingarten & Associates Family and Cosmetic Dentistry are powerful weapons in the fight against tooth decay. Yet cavities can still occur. Family genetics, medical conditions, pregnancy, medications, and medical therapies can increase your risk. With early detection at regularly-scheduled examination appointments, cavities can be treated with minimal drilling. Dr. Weingarten uses cosmetic filling materials that blend beautifully with natural tooth structure, so your filling is virtually invisible. He provides root canal therapy to remedy abscessed teeth, and lustrous porcelain crowns to protect teeth that have suffered advanced tooth decay.
Call our Aurora dental office to become a patient at Dr. Harry Weingarten & Associates Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, for a lifetime of healthy smiles.